[LinuxBIOS] AMD 690G chipset support in LinuxBIOS v2

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Sep 11 21:04:32 CEST 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:37:04AM +0700, Darmawan Salihun wrote:
> Is there any support coming down the road?

I haven't seen it mentioned.

> I'm planning to buy a new system for BIOS experiments in the next
> few days. This chipset is a candidate for me. I want a chipset with
> onboard video and K8 processor.

I guess you want a Tyan board then. But I think they're mostly server
class boards so a bit expensive.

> I choose K8 because the datasheet for the memory controller is
> readily available.

K8 is really well supported by LB.

> I'm open for any suggestion(s). Basically, I just want a system
> that can run Vista, support multicore processor and can be used for
> LinuxBIOS experiments (preferably without soldering stuff needed).

Onboard graphics is what gets you into trouble. You'll almost always
need to solder today. Not many boards ship with socketed flash,
especially not in the desktop segment.

> Anyway, one further question: hot-flashing can be done on SPI chips
> as well, right?

Sure, but they're never socketed from factory. You would have to hack
some hardware together.

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:20:07AM +0200, Rasmus Wiman wrote:
> I am thinking along the same lines. My primary candidate is NForce
> 430 since MCP55 is already supported. But that could of course mean
> absolutely nothing at all. Just because there is working code for
> one NVidia chipset it doesn't mean that code will be easy to adapt
> th the 430.

The current support for NVIDIA was written by Yinghai while at AMD
where he had access to all the neccessary data sheets. I'm not sure
if he's still got access to good docs from NV?

//Peter