[LinuxBIOS] i82801DB PCI Bridge locking up

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Thu Sep 13 08:40:16 CEST 2007

Quoting Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de>:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 03:26:17AM -0400, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Here is an overview of my problem. When booting, LB freezes when
>> trying to "Enabling resources..." of the PCI Bridge (00:1e.0). I am
>> using the i82801xx code. I think I figured out what is wrong but I
>> don't know why. "Reading resources..." of the device seems to go ok
>> (see below) but when it comes time to "Setting resources..." I don't
>> see the device anywhere (00:1e.0). And then it just locks up at
>> "Enabling resources...".
>>
>> Anyone have any idea why the PCI Bridge is not showing up in "Setting
>> resources..."??? Please help, this is my last obsticle to getting this
>> to boot (i hope).
>
> Please post a patch with all your changes against current svn so we can
> help with debugging.

I will as soon as I get a chance to create a patch. I think I may know
where the issue lies but not sure how to fix it.

First according to the pci_dev_set_resources() or pci_set_resource()
function in pci_device.c if the resource is already stored or if
resources is substractive it just returns, so I am assuming it is ok
that I don't see it in "Setting resources...". Is that correct?? If so
couldn't the report_resource_stored() function be added to these to
output something??

Next, I think the bios is hanging on the
enable_childrens_resources(dev); part of the
pci_bus_enable_resources() function. I have no idea why but I will do
some more testing in the morning. I have a feeling It may have to do
with the onboard i82801DB nic (this is down from the PCI Bridge and
would fall under the enable_childrens_resources?) that is not being
detected for some reason. I noticed on one of the other Intel
motherboard Config.Lb's that they indicated a pci rom for it. I wonder
if my nic needs the pci rom to get it going, and this would solve the
problem?

Thanks - Joe