[LinuxBIOS] linuxbios on decTOP

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu Sep 13 10:25:42 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:30:27PM -0700, embedded linux wrote:

> DecTOP (AMD PIC)  is selling for $99 or (4 for $297)
> http://www.dataevolution.com/dectop%20info%202.htm
>
> Since this is similar to OLPC hardware, I assume this is supported? Anyone has any experience with this hardware?

No experience here, and it's not supported out of the box. However, as
the chipset (GX2 northbridge and CS5535 southbridge, I think) is
already supported, it shouldn't be too much work.

I see one problem, namely that the ROM/BIOS chip is soldered on
to the board (and not in a socket), according to
http://www.enicomms.com/decTOP/DSCF1154.JPG

This will require some soldering (desolder the chip, solder on a
socket), so that you are able to insert a backup ROM chip in case of
problems with flashing (and for testing during development).

If you want to give this a try, please send us more information,
lspci -nnn, lspci -vvv, lspnp -v (note: 'lspnp'. not lspci this time).

Uwe.