[LinuxBIOS] different versions of the GA-M57SLI-S4 (PLCC vs SPI)

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Sep 23 18:29:15 CEST 2007

On 12.09.2007 02:52, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 03:11:19AM +0200, echelon at free.fr wrote:
>> Now I will try to add support for SPI flash and ITE8716 superio in
>> flashrom (I have never done that before, it will be hard for
>> me!..). Btw, is someone else working with this board at this moment
>> or am I alone?.. I would like to avoid to do unusefull work..
>
> Carl-Daniel was going to have a look at it when he got back online
> unless someone else did it first.

I'm back, but swamped with work. A few suggestions below:

> flashrom has no support at all for the SPI way of flashing so I would
> just do a massive hack for the first round of SPI support.

That's why I'd like to go with the Linux kernel MTD SPI framework for
now. I have some scripts which are able to "port" code between flashrom
and Linux kernel MTD code, but they are in a too early stage to be of
use for anyone besides me.

@Stefan: The Linux SPI implementation has progressed quite a lot in the
last few months, so you may want to rethink your objections to using it.

Oh, and I have really good news. It seems SPI flashing on the GA-M57SLI
is only a few lines of code away. I have a rough code skeleton which
should be checked by someone with the new GA-M57SLI who can reflash
manually if necessary.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel