[LinuxBIOS] *SPAM* FYI: kernel 2.6.23-rc6 hangs on Geode GX1

Juergen Beisert juergen127 at kreuzholzen.de
Fri Sep 28 10:45:42 CEST 2007

Hi,

> On Thursday 27 September 2007 16:44, Marco Tralli wrote:
> I have random hangs on kernel boot or after few minutes on a NatSemi Geode
> GX1 based PC-104 (from Advantech) using kernel 2.6.23-rc6. The system
> locks, no way to use SysRq key, no usefull logs.
>
> No problems using kernel 2.6.21 series that I was using before with same
> config options.
>
> I found that commenting out "geode_configure" call in
> arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cyrix.c the problem is fixed.
>
> I guess recent changes to cyrix.c that replace macros setCx86/getCx86 with
> inlined functions have now "activate" performance tricks in geode_configure
> code that previously were "inactive" due to wrong macro espansion. So not
> only "Suspend on Halt" function is enabled but also less or not documented
> geode tricks (incrementor margin, fast fpu, write-back) now broken on some
> GX1/GXm platform (maybe because of BIOS?)
> [...]

Any testers here who can test the behavior on their GX1 based systems? At
least some testers are needed who runs the current rc kernel on their 266MHz
sytem (if it also fails). It seems tweaking the incrementer settings causes
this failure.

Juergen

PS: Full thread: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/27/143