[coreboot] Device mapping problem

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Tue Apr 1 17:45:56 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 01:55:34PM +0200, Klaus Stammermann wrote:
> At first I can't boot my system with coreboot yet. I changed kernel params
> so initrd now will be loaded. Used kernel params are now same as in lilo
> of original system.

What does 'cat /proc/cmdline' on the same disk (but booted with the
original BIOS) say?

> There are two differences I think that could be a problem. At first there
> are two different size of memory detected:
> coreboot: 222822k/229376k
> origianl bios: 222384k/229312k

Not a problem, I think.

> And of course on original bios system DMI 2.2 is started. On coreboot DMI
> is not present or is invalid.

Not a problem, either. coreboot doesn't provide DMI (not needed).

> I would set ram size to 0x40000 Kbytes

Do you have 256MB of RAM, is that correct?

> Enabling VIA IDE.
> ide_init: enabling compatibility IDE addresses

Looks ok.

> FILO version 0.5 (klausst at thor) Mon Mar 31 14:56:38 CEST 2008

Looks ok.

> boot: hda1:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 initrd=/boot/initrd.splash
> console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200

This is the interesting part. Are you sure FILO views your disk
(CF card?) as hda1? Is your /boot an extra partition (mount point) or is
it part of the "/" filesystem on hda1?

Are you sure Linux views your disk (CF card?) as /dev/sda1? Did you try
/dev/sdb1?

The dmesg from below says:
  Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=Zenwalk ro root=801 splash=silent
which is quite different. Where does this stuff come from?

I'd also use "splash=silent" in FILO for now, btw.

Have you tried "root=801" instead of "root=/dev/sda1" in FILO (no idea
what 801 is)?

> hda: LBA 2049MB: SanDisk SDCFX-2048
> Mounted ext2fs
> Found Linux version 2.6.18.2-34-default (geeko at buildhost) #1 SMP Mon Nov
> 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006 bzImage.
> Jumping to entry point...
> Linux version 2.6.18.2-34-default (geeko at buildhost) (gcc version 4.1.2
> 20061115 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 SMP Mon Nov 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006

Looks good in theory.

> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.

Hm, doesn't look too good, but this also contradicts the

> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)

This is your problem. The "root=" line seems to be wrong, thus Linux
cannot find/mount the "/" filesystem.

Uwe.