[coreboot] r3213 - trunk/payloads/libpayload/include

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Apr 8 00:06:30 CEST 2008

On 07.04.2008 23:30, Peter Stuge wrote:

> ..
>
>> We are not talking about the list, but about the mails generated by
>> svn.
>>

> Ah, ok.
>

>> They have "From: svn at coreboot.org" and it would be nice if
>> replies to svn commit mails ended up on the list.
>>

> I really like to point out the list-reply command, but for those who
> still lack list-reply in their mailers (Thunderbird has a plugin[1])
> a Mail-Followup-To with the list address could be added to those
> messages (and those messages only) before they're sent to the list.

I vehemently oppose Mail-Followup-To: for svn mails. It has never
reached official RFC status and the abandoned(!) RFC draft for it
(draft-ietf-drums-mail-followup-to-00) explicitly specifies: 'The
"Mail-Followup-To" contains a suggestion to the recipient of where to
send group replies'. This means the purpose of Mail-Followup-To: is
explicitly not intended for mails where a reply should always go to an
address different from the one in the From: header.

>>> Please see
>>> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>>> http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html (also covers Mail-Followup-To)
>>>
>> Does not apply. See above.
>>

> Still does I think, both pages mention how and when the various
> headers are supposed to be used, and when not to use them.

Both sites are very careful not to point to actual RFCs for their
arguments and the second site fails to mention that Mail-Followup-To: is
an abandoned effort. IMO Mail-Followup-To: has a value similar to that
of JScript (yes, the Microsoft JavaScript Frankenstein monster).

> [1] http://alumnit.ca/wiki/index.php?page=ReplyToListThunderbirdExtension

Thanks for the pointer, but unfortunately this does not work for
seamonkey. Besides that, I like getting copies of mails I should read.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel