[coreboot] Time for a new project

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Apr 12 02:05:05 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 05:28:01PM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> Libpayload is the backend for two working payloads (coreinfo and
> tint) and more on the way.

I must get another alix.

> The more I have thought about this, the more I think that this
> effort is key to proving (and improving) the stability and
> versatility of coreboot-v3.

Certainly usability as well.

> http://www.coreboot.org/Bayou

I like it a lot. It's what we (I at least) envisioned when starting
on LAR in Hamburg. I can feel it coming to reality. :)

> http://www.coreboot.org/SELF

SELF nicely eliminates all those ELF segments in LARs!

..but wouldn't it be good to explicitly use 64-bit types?

> PS:  I very nearly called it 'corechooser' as a joke, but I think
> that would have caused Peter to track me down and hunt me for
> sport.

Close call, on another day I might not have acted on the impulse to
call for some new names. Bayou isn't so explaining but still
massively better than corechooser IMO. :)

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 04:43:13PM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> 3. use those bits! They're there for a reason :-)
> 'CODE'
> 'DATA'
> 'BSS '
> 'NAME'
> 'NOTE'
> 'ENTR'

I can't help but think this is cute. There won't be enough types to
run out of names, it can help, and it's sort-of an easter egg. :p

All thumbs up from me.

//Peter