[coreboot] Time for a new project

Philip Schulz philip.s.schulz at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 12 15:36:02 CEST 2008

Hi,

 sorry for interrupting, but I have short question, actually two.

2008/4/12, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de>:
[...]
>  You are seriously misunderstanding the concepts of LAR and SELF. While LAR
> is an archiver of arbitrary(!) files, SELF is the container for executable
> files. Mixing these two up was the biggest mistake in the history of the
> young LAR, making things irreversible and fragile.

 For the unexperienced like me: Why would anybody need either LAR or
SELF? I kind of understand the reasoning behind LAR, but why would
SELF be neccessary? Can't you just extract a regular ELF file from a
LAR archive and then load it?

> The reason for unpacking segments was to get rid of the ELF
> loader and being able to streamload code.

What do you mean by "streamload code" and why would you want to get
rid of the ELF loader?

I'm just interested, I'm not trying to make a point.

Regards,

Phil.