[coreboot] SELF machine parameters

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Apr 13 03:34:28 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 07:15:52PM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> We already know what endianism, word size and architecture we're
> going to run on - SELF is not intended to be portable.

Fair enough. It's not a multi-format binary. (Maybe someone will
support the fat files in Darwin at some point? :)

> It is constructed when the LAR is,

Ok.

> and is married to that LAR and that LAR only.

Mh, I don't know about this. LAR is an archiver; I will want to
reuse the SELF.

> Worrying about specifying the architecture here is the computer
> science equivalent of the "Caution, coffee is hot" warning.

I think of it more like a "coffee" label on a container with dark
liquid. The liquid could also be a much less tasty toxin that I do
not want to drink by accident. Especially if found in a chemistry
lab.

I kind of like being able to reject SELF pre execution, if the
contents is known to not be what I am looking for.

//Peter