[coreboot] TV-Out Plan - need suggestions

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 08:04:40 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Joe <joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:

> Hmm is right. That brings me back to my original question then:
>
> Starting to work on the TV-Out code for the RCA RM4100, and I need some
> help. Here is the Logical Plan:
>
> 1. Setup a custom vga init (similar to Corey's vga.c for the cn700
> northbridge) that will call a i2c (i810_i2c.c which could be used for a
> bunch of intel nothbridges) driver from coreboot-v2/src/drivers/i2c/ that
> will setup communications with the Tv-out encoder via the GPIO (sda, sdl)
> lines in the nothbridge.
> 2. Then setup a init (that would program the registers, and fire it up)for
> the Tv encoder coreboot-v2/src/drivers/tv-out which could also be called
> from the nothbridge vga.c.
>
> Here is where it gets tricky. I want to make it dynamic in the respect
> that
> you could specify from your mainboard directory:
> a. enable TV encoder usage (if yes setup i2c and program encoder,
> otherwise
> just skip over it).
> b. TV-out settings (with a header file??) like NTSC, PAl, resolution,
> macrovision, filters, etc.
> c. Specify which Tv encoder to use

Ok, I'm not sure if that would work or not (it's late, I'm tired, and I
can't remember), but declaring the tv encoder as a seperate device *should*
work. Then you can put it in your mainboard Config.lb as
device/tv-encoder/[chip name], like a north/south bridge or super io. You
should then be able to give it an options struct, so you can just do
register "format" = "ntsc", etc.

-Corey