[coreboot] flashrom-1.0

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Apr 28 10:13:45 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:32:03PM -0400, Joe wrote:
> I like it! Will it be released with distros, etc?

Yes, that's the plan. Having a version number (any number) helps make
life so much easier for distributions, and thus it increases the
chances for the utility to spread.

> If so, every time it goes up a version we would need to release an
> update patch correct?

No, not really neccessary. The Linux kernel does this, for each
releasy they also release a patch with all changes from the last
release to the current, but I don't know a lot of other projects
who do that, and I don't think there is much point to it.

One motivation could be size, but flashrom will be a small enough
package for that not to matter.

I also don't know of any distributions that are patch based like that
and would require it - rather I think most distributions prefer to
have each version in a separate tarball.

//Peter