[coreboot] qemu dts fixes

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 19:25:05 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Marc Jones <marcj303 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Rudolf Marek <r.marek at assembler.cz> wrote:
> >> So would it be reasonable to have the domain reserve it, since having a
> >> resource for each CPU at the same place could get confusing?  Do we have
> >> LAPIC devices on any platforms in Coreboot, so that it could be reserved
> >> there?
> >
> > LAPIC is in any CPU post Pentium.
>
> I was trying to say what Rudolf clarified. There is a local APIC in
> each CPU core at the addess 0xFEE00000 so we only need to reserve it
> once. Logically it doesn't make sense to have it in the northbridge.
> That gets back to just putting it in the domain.

That makes sense to me.  I didn't want to put it in the CPU because it only
needs to be reserved once.  This doesn't really matter for resource
allocation because the IOAPIC is at a lower address and so resource
allocation will never come this high.  I'd like it to be logical and
complete in case something else needs to know, though.

> I thought that the
> IOAPIC 0xFEC00000 should in the southbridge but if the LAPIC is in
> the domain then maybe the IOAPIC shoud be with it.

It makes sense to me to put it in the southbridge.  Rudolf has said that
different southbridges reserve different amounts of space for these, and
domains are independent of southbridges.

I think that the only CPU coreboot supports that doesn't have a LAPIC
> is the Geode. It has no multicore capability and sitll uses the legacy
> PIC.

I should have clarified here.  I was asking if any of the platforms would
create a device in the dts for the LAPIC.  I'm assuming that the answer is
no.

Thanks,
Myles