[coreboot] Athlon XP discussion

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 01:44:49 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Joseph Smith <joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:

> Just curious, with all the support from AMD, how come no one ever ventured
> down the Athlon XP road? Athlon XP setups are very cheap these days,
> possibly making development cost effective???

The Athlon XP, and most/all chipsets supporting it, are EOL, therefore not a
good option from a manufacturer design standpoint, so I wouldn't expect
someone to contract a port any time soon. AMD is making the best of their
available resources by supporting the K8 and AMD690 chipset, which had not
reached EOL when work started on the port but I think it may have now. Also,
the K7 datasheets are not publically available (last I looked), probably
because of details about whatever made them kick P4 ass back in the day :D
The datasheets on Via KT333/400 chipsets are available online, but not from
Via, so I'm not sure of their legallity (you would almost certainly not get
that datasheet from Via themselves). I don't know if AMD has any of their K7
chipset docs available online.

-Corey