[coreboot] 2 keypoints to use coreboot+seabios to achieve WINDOWS-XP's s3 sleep/resume

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Fri Dec 19 04:57:25 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:56:34AM +0800, JasonZhao at viatech.com.cn wrote:
> Firstly, you need download two patchs:the Kevin's for using Seabios as
> payload, and Rudolf's for s3.
>
> http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2008-September/038551.html
>
> www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2008-January/028787.html
[...]
> #2 Since when resume from S3, coreboot do not go into payload, so in vga
> driver codes need be added to do vga init after it judged that this is a
> boot waked from s3.
>
> if(acpi_sleep_type==3)
>
>          {printk_debug("Enable VGA console\n");
>
>          vga_enable_console();}

The bochs project just added S3 support to their code.  This required
adding S3 resume support into SeaBIOS.  This support might also be
useful to coreboot.

If it is desirable, we could have coreboot jump to SeaBIOS' post
vector (f000:fff0) on an S3 resume instead of the OS.  SeaBIOS would
then find the ACPI FACP table and resume the OS.  This might be useful
if we want SeaBIOS to do vga option rom init on resume instead of
having coreboot do the init.

-Kevin