[coreboot] YABEL and images in LAR files

Pattrick Hueper phueper at hueper.net
Fri Dec 19 19:57:38 CET 2008

Hi,

well following the BIOS spec (i think its somewhere in the PNP BIOS
spec... i have to check... ) the BIOS copies the ROM to RAM... since
YABEL uses its own "virtual" memory it _has_ to copy the ROM to its
RAM... also some of the cards i have used do actually modify the
memory where the ROM is stored, so it has to be in the virtual RAM.

Currently, the ROM is always copied from the Expansion ROM bar of PCI
devices.... i havent had to initialize any onboard devices. If there
is a parameter to run_bios that points to the location of the Option
ROM i could pass that parameter to YABEL and only use the Expansion
ROM BAR if that parameter is not set (null?). But IIRC i still have to
copy it to the virtual memory.

If it helps coreboot to know where the Option ROM image is after
execution of the ROM, i guess YABEL could return the location of the
ROM (the length which could be changed during execution is part of the
ROM, so coreboot could figure out how much to copy back if it decides
to do so.

I am thinking of buying a x86 board to do coreboot development, i am
wondering which one would be a good choice with regards to YABEL and
maybe SEABIOS development? Any recommendations?

My requirements:

coreboot-v3 and preferably v2 "compatible"
PCI and PCIe slots
since Myles mentioned onboard devices with ROM in LAR that would be
very interesting too...
"affordable"

I am really unsure what else to look for... Flash Chip Types? Processor?

Cheers Patty