[coreboot] [RFC] Here we go... the SLOF biosemu for coreboot-v3

Pattrick Hueper phueper at hueper.net
Fri Dec 19 20:06:10 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 2:23 AM, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:

> I wonder if YABEL could emulate SeaBIOS - that way, all the ugly bios
> code could be in one place (SeaBIOS).  Currently, SeaBIOS will enter
> 32bit mode to do its initialization - I'm not sure if YABEL can handle
> that.

Very interesting idea. Since x86emu does not emulate protected mode
code, that code could not be emulated, but maybe it could be normal
non-emulated C code that is used for initialization and then the 16
bit code could be emulated...

One concern i have is that i would like YABEL to still be a full BIOS
emulator for SLOF, so i dont want to remove any of the BIOS emulation
code... maybe we could find a way to share the code between the two
emulators.. something like libbiosemu??

Then there is the licensing problem... YABEL is BSD licensed, i am
assuming that SEABIOS is GPL? I would like YABEL to always be portable
to SLOF which is BSD licensed as well...

> It may also be possible to compile the 32bit SeaBIOS code in native
> PPC mode and only emulate the 16bit code in YABEL.

Ah, didnt read far enough ;-) Thats what i meant with the non-emulated
initialization code above...

Cheers Patty