[coreboot] Paraflasher Project Update

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Dec 20 23:02:50 CET 2008

Joseph Smith wrote:
> > Hmm - do you receive my emails? Some have told me that my
> > messages end up in their spamboxes.
>
> Yeh I get your emails.

Ok! Thanks for confirming.

> >> What about a combonation of the two.
> >
> > If you ask me, I strongly recommend depending on only _one_
> > interface.
>
> Well, I like the way ppdev gains control over the port, but your
> right, we need speed and that is where direct IO access comes in.

My point was not that we need speed, but that ppdev will be so slow
that you may not think that it is working correctly when starting to
test with hardware.

Anyone who does need speed should better spend some money on a good
standalone programmer.

If you are going to depend on direct IO access (with all that
entails) then _additionally_ depending on a kernel driver that may
not be available in the system makes little sense.

If you are going to depend on ppdev (with all that entails) then
_additionally_ depending on the privileges required for direct IO
makes little sense.

Either or. Pick one of them. They both have advantages and drawbacks.

Also, it's really poor form to start using a kernel driver only to
bypass it with direct hardware access shortly thereafter. Boot DOS if
you're into that kind of thing. :)

//Peter