[coreboot] Yet another idea of an SPI flash chip programmer

FENG Yu Ning fengyuning1984 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 13:53:18 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Tom Sylla <tsylla at gmail.com> wrote:
> This will definitely work, a couple of years ago, we researched this
> exact setup. Our plan was to put headers on the motherboards were we
> deisnging, to have an easy de-bricking mechanism. A co-worker wrote a
> windows SPI flasher in a day or so. I have seen that exact device used
> to program SPI ROMs, as well as master JTAG, and program Altera FPGAs
> (they have a generic bit-bang mode too). It works quite well.

Thanks for confirming.

> I think I have sent these to the list before, but DLP Design makes
> pretty cheap little adapter boards ($20-40), including one for the
> 2232 series:
>
> http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/2232m.shtml

I must have over looked it. After reading your mail, I browsed ftdi's
site again and found it there too. The module seems convenient to use.
I am contacting a local ftdi distributor at the moment.

> That with a protoboard and an appropriate socket is all you need for a
> SPI programmer. If you have a SPI programming socket on your
> motherboard, it is even easier. It should be pretty fast too.

Any one know about this?

  http://www.wieson.com/product_show_lst.php?PID=858&TypeName=Connectors&subTypeName=SPI

I think it is very useful for soldered SPI flashes.

yu ning