[coreboot] v3 challenge: global variables

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Feb 4 17:42:59 CET 2008

On 04.02.2008 17:26, ron minnich wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 8:22 AM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
>

>> Let's just put the buffer to a well known address.
>> We're trying to add a flexibility here that is just ballast.

It's not that easy. I need the location of the buffer and the current
offset inside the buffer. The one global variable would have pointed to
a struct containing all that info.

> OK, good point.
>
> So far our dedicated addresses are these:
> page 0 -- for vm86
> page 1 -- for vm86
> 0x88000 -- 0x8ffff -- stack. (stack should probably move to 0x98000)
> Then put log buffer at 0x90000?

The log buffer has to be on the stack during CAR. That's not a big
problem because we can allocate it in stage1_main(). The problem is that
we need a way to locate where exactly the buffer is.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel