[coreboot] Geode LX/CS5536 VSA

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Feb 4 21:51:46 CET 2008

On 01/02/08 21:22 +0100, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi Chris!
>
> First of all, welcome on board!
>
> On 01.02.2008 21:12, Chris Kilgour wrote:
> > Marc Jones wrote:
> >
> >> The following changes were made:
> >> Remove int15 callbacks removed. CPU and memory are calculated by VSA.
> >> VSA no longer takes all the MFGPTs. Two are now available for OS use.
> >>

> > I have "ported" the previous VSA sources from the OLPC git tree, so that
> > it builds under GNU tools.  It is completely untested, but I plan to
> > start testing it any time now.  It has never been released.
> >

> Great, thanks!
>
> > I would appreciate any comments from the list on:
> > 1. hosting these VSA sources.  Would coreboot.org be a good place to
> > keep the GNU-ified VSA sources?
> >

> Probably yes. The laptop.org GIT tree only has 2 revisions. Such an
> amount of change could easily be handled with subversion and
> coreboot.org surely could handle that. The final decision is made by
> Stefan, though.

The history on the GIT tree is really not interesting - it just shows when
I pushed the original VSA code and the LX update.

> > 2. the idea of permanently moving to a GNU-buildable version?
> >

> It would certainly make outside contributions easier.

Yes - that would be best.  THe original code is nice for debugging behavior
in the VSA blob, but really only serves a documentation / historical purpose.
If anything, we can toss the original tarball for archival purposes.

> > 3. anyone interesting in helping to test the "port"?
> >

> I'm pretty sure AMD is interested, although those people working on
> Geode targets for coreboot will want to test as well. The ability to
> tailor the VSA to do exactly the things we need and skip the rest is a
> really exciting prospect.

Absolutely, I'm interested.  Also, we will want to teach buildrom to build
the GNUified VSA.

--
Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer