[coreboot] Problem with M57SLI and newly installed MX25L4005

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Feb 6 02:09:08 CET 2008

On 04.02.2008 22:04, Chris Lingard wrote:
> I recently found someone who could do the work of modifying the
> motherboard, Harald kindly posted me the chip.
>
> The machine came back and it would not boot with the switch up
>
> I then probably made a mistake, I used the BIOS itself to dump the
> factory BIOS to several floppies; then flipped the switch and wrote the
> factory BIOS to the new chip.  The machine now boots from either BIOS.
>
> Using flashrom to detect the chip I get:
>
> Calibrating delay loop... 853M loops per second. OK.
> No coreboot table found.
> Found chipset "NVIDIA MCP55", enabling flash write... OK.
> Found board "GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4": enabling flash write... Serial
> flash segment 0xfffe0000-0xffffffff enabled
> Serial flash segment 0x000e0000-0x000fffff enabled
> Serial flash segment 0xffee0000-0xffefffff disabled
> Serial flash segment 0xfff80000-0xfffeffff enabled
> LPC write to serial flash enabled
> serial flash pin 29
> OK.
>
> <snip>
>
> Probing for MX25L4005, 512 KB
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7e.
> probe_spi: id1 0x7f, id2 0x9d7e
>
> <snip>
>
> No EEPROM/flash device found.
>
> The factory BIOS is the same except that it returns
>
> Probing for MX25L4005, 512 KB
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7e.
>
> <snip>
>
> No EEPROM/flash device found.

Please specify which flash chips you are using. The snipped logs are
extremely misleading, especially because the RDID output contradicts the
MX25L4005 claim in the mail subject.
The RDID you are seeing is from a Pm25LV040 (7f 9d 7e).

> The block diagram shows the BIOS connected directly to the 570-SLI and
> not via the 8716

That block diagram is correct for v1.x of the board.

> Could someone please give me a clue of either what I have missed out, or
> how to proceed?

We need to know the exact flash chip types before we can proceed.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel