[coreboot] Problem with M57SLI and newly installed MX25L4005

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Feb 6 14:42:33 CET 2008

On 06.02.2008 13:20, Chris Lingard wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> Please specify which flash chips you are using. The snipped logs are
>> extremely misleading, especially because the RDID output contradicts the
>> MX25L4005 claim in the mail subject.
>> The RDID you are seeing is from a Pm25LV040 (7f 9d 7e).
>>
>> We need to know the exact flash chip types before we can proceed.
>>

> Sorry for length of this

No problem, we are used to even bigger mails. And in your case, I
explicitly requested it. Thanks.

> Coreboot-v2  release 3088. This is the factory chip, I think

OK. Any chance to find out what's written on the factory chip?

> Found chipset "NVIDIA MCP55", enabling flash write... OK.
> Found board "GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4"
> [...]
> Probing for EON unknown SPI chip, 0 KB
> WARNING: size: 0 -> 4096 (page size)
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7e.
> probe_spi: id1 0x7f, id2 0x9d7e
> Probing for MX unknown SPI chip, 0 KB
> WARNING: size: 0 -> 4096 (page size)
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7e.
> probe_spi: id1 0x7f, id2 0x9d7e
> Probing for SST unknown SPI chip, 0 KB
> WARNING: size: 0 -> 4096 (page size)
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7e.
> probe_spi: id1 0x7f, id2 0x9d7e
> Probing for ST unknown SPI chip, 0 KB
> WARNING: size: 0 -> 4096 (page size)
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7e.
> probe_spi: id1 0x7f, id2 0x9d7e
> No EEPROM/flash device found.

The RDID results are consistent between RDID calls.

> Switch up, this is the chip that Harald sent me, the packet has
> MX25L4005A written on it

OK. Strange... I believe you, but the results below suggest another chip.

> Found chipset "NVIDIA MCP55", enabling flash write... OK.
> Found board "GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4"
> [...]
> Probing for EON unknown SPI chip, 0 KB
> WARNING: size: 0 -> 4096 (page size)
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7d.
> probe_spi: id1 0x7f, id2 0x9d7d
> Probing for MX unknown SPI chip, 0 KB
> WARNING: size: 0 -> 4096 (page size)
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7d.
> probe_spi: id1 0x7f, id2 0x9d7d
> Probing for SST unknown SPI chip, 0 KB
> WARNING: size: 0 -> 4096 (page size)
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7d.
> probe_spi: id1 0x7f, id2 0x9d7d
> Probing for ST unknown SPI chip, 0 KB
> WARNING: size: 0 -> 4096 (page size)
> RDID returned 7f 9d 7d.
> probe_spi: id1 0x7f, id2 0x9d7d
> No EEPROM/flash device found.

EDIT: I just saw your mail from a few minutes ago. The output of the
patched flashrom will prove enlightening.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/