[coreboot] EFI strategy

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Feb 10 06:47:28 CET 2008

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 09:34:55PM +0000, Brendan Trotter wrote:
> Sorry for the interruption, but...

All input is valuable!

> On 2/9/08, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's only 2 things coreboot is missing. The first is an inbuilt
> "update payload from <device>" utility

This is basically the problem of flash chips still being too small.

> The second thing that's missing is a "payload specification"

This has come up before. We would very much appreciate help from
anyone who has ideas about such a specification.

> (with backward compatability) that allows payloads to be written by
> anyone that always work reliably without any compatability
> problems.

I don't think this is really possible though. Even the C programming
language changes over time. I agree with you that specifications
should be very stable, but I believe it is impossible to create one
that "always" works. At some point this will become a re-invention
of OpenFirmware. Please prove me wrong though! :)

//Peter