[coreboot] Free BIOS for personal computers and laptops - you will explode!

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 23:46:04 CET 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 1:07 PM, Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> wrote:

> BIOS is a part of the reliability and performance promise of the
> hardware.  Chipset specifications at the level being discussed are
> commonly considered proprietary by all silicon vendors, not just Intel.

There's the real issue. This is pretty much the same line they've
taken for the last 7 years. And, actually, not true. Just look at AMD
or the ARM or the powerpc or ...

> The open source firmware work that Intel *is* sponsoring could lead to a
> solution where proprietary low-level chipset initialization code from
> silicon vendors is made compatible with open source higher-level
> platform initialization and pre-boot management.  If you are interested,
> we invite you to participate at www.tianocore.org.

yep, they've talked about this for 7 years too, and never once
delivered. I even had a promise at several different times to have the
code "in two weeks". I got the promise, but not the code.

Don't hold your breath.

ron