[coreboot] patch: more path support

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Feb 12 01:00:56 CET 2008

On 11.02.2008 22:26, ron minnich wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2008 5:46 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
> <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> How do you handle the case where two identical PCI devices need
>> different settings?
>>

> That's actually very easy. The patch differentiates each device, while
> the id identifies what kind of device they are.

OK.

> I have the patch ready and tested. Here is how the qemu dts now looks.
> This boots linux fine. If this looks OK I will submit the patch.

I like the new structure, but there is one thing that irritates me to no
end: "@"
When I first read the dts without the accompanying discussion, I
completely misunderstood the structure because of the "@". I thought the
"@" really meant "at" in the sense that it refers to the address of the
parent entity, e.g "pci at 0,0" means "the pci device at bus 0,0". However,
the true meaning/translation of "@" seems to be "device with
address/number", e.g. "pci at 0,0" means "pci device with address 0,0".
Can we please have another separator like "-" or ":" or "_"? All of
those alternative separators convey the meaning better.

A patch with a changed separator would be really appreciated.

> ron
> /{
>         mainboard-vendor = "Emulation";
>         mainboard-name = "QEMU x86";
>         enabled;
>         constructor = "qemuvga_constructors";
>         cpus {
>                 enabled;
>         };
>         domain at 0 {
>                 /config/("northbridge/intel/i440bxemulation/dts");
>                 enabled;
>                 bus at 0 {
>                         pci at 0,0 {
>                                 enabled;
>                         };
>                         pci at 1,0 {
>                                 /config/("southbridge/intel/i82371eb/dts");
>                                 enabled;
>                         };
>                 };
>         };