[coreboot] VSA and vm86/x86emu

Marc Jones marc.jones at amd.com
Mon Feb 18 23:55:25 CET 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems that executing VSA requires vm86 to be useful. Since we
> unconditionally execute the VSA, we should unconditionally require vm86
> support (PCI_OPTION_ROM_RUN_VM86) via Kconfig for Geode targets. Not
> doing so will either cause compile failures or runtime failures.
>
> Adding
> select PCI_OPTION_ROM_RUN_VM86
> below
> config CPU_AMD_GEODELX
> did not work out for me.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel

Sorry I missed this.

VSA requires the GDT that is in vm86.c. VSA loads similar to an option
ROM so the loader does go into VM86 mode. All the other stuff like
interrupt support and PCI BIOS isn't needed by VSA. I think that the GDT
at the top of vm86.c can be moved to a header file, gdt.h or something
like that.

Care to make a patch? :)

Marc

--