[coreboot] flashrom: Handling of mainboard selection

Mart Raudsepp mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee
Tue Feb 19 07:41:47 CET 2008

Ühel kenal päeval, E, 2008-02-18 kell 17:07, kirjutas Stefan Reinauer:
> * Mart Raudsepp <mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee> [080218 14:44]:
> > >   Pros:
> > >     * can skip boards from PCI based auto-detection logic, requiring
> > > user specifying it;
>
> Why is that a pro? This means there are boards that will not work "out
> of the box" anymore. That looks like a CON right there.
>
> What's the problem with autodetection?

I'll just quote from the original mail that didn't see replies:

These boards are based on the AMD Geode line, so the PCI devices that
exist for the outside are whatever the VSA exposes, which is typically
the very same set of PCI devices that a big number of other Geode based
products get exposed (save maybe network adapter and a few other things
that can easily overlap with other boards). Therefore, it is undesirable
to have the board PCI ID based auto-detection consider a board with
Geode
PCI devices a DBE61 without the user having said so specifically via -m
artecgroup:dbe61 in scenarios when the ROM flash is empty or contains
something else than a coreboot image with an appropriate name that would
get auto-detected first.

So, as soon as I add a board entry to board_pciid_enables[] that
describes one or two Geode VSA exposed PCI devices [with subsystem IDs
specified], I suspect all other
Geode products will start getting auto-detected as the board I add,
unless they happen to have a coreboot image with a name that is in the
struct as well (lb_vendor/lb_name).

--
Mart Raudsepp,
Software Engineer,