[coreboot] flashrom: Handling of mainboard selection

Mart Raudsepp mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee
Tue Feb 19 07:49:41 CET 2008

Ühel kenal päeval, E, 2008-02-18 kell 08:12, kirjutas ron minnich:
> Isn't just about any LX800 board going to put FLASH on the cs5536?

You have three places it can be and the DIVIL_BALL_OPTS MSR registry
needs to match that. If it's wrong, then the writing happens to the
wrong place, which typically fails in our boards (as the "LPC dongle"
BIOS emulator doesn't allow flashing over LPC bus, which you don't want
anyway).
These three locations are:

1) LPC ROM
2) Flash
3) Firmware HUB

The way I'm setting it in board_enable_dbe6x() is making board specific
assumptions. If this can be later improved to work for all cs5536 boads,
then I would be glad to see this unified.

> One other option: have the code see how many boards match based on PCI
> ids. If it is more than one, ask the user which board it is by giving
> them a selection. That way, code won't stop at first match, and it can
> detect ambiguities.

Yup, that idea I also had in my thread starting e-mail as a third option
that can be done independently. Would be nice in the long term.
Though it doesn't cover cases where you only have one board entry at the
time - imagine we would only add DBE61 and no DBE62, then an OLPC would
be detected as DBE61 instead of reporting a bogus ambiguity between
DBE61 and DBE62.

--
Regards,
Mart Raudsepp,