[coreboot] [RFC] port bochs-bios to gcc

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Tue Feb 26 02:09:43 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:25:14PM +0900, Jun Koi wrote:
> On 2/25/08, Jun Koi <junkoi2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm somehow I missed it: that is the _start in romlayout.S. But then
> >  the question is: why the _start code jump back to itself at start
> >  up???
> >

> Ah, now I see what happens. The -fwhole-program --combine option
> really confuses me!

Hi Jun,

The code is entered in 16bit mode at ffff:fff0 (romlayout.S) - it then
jumps to "post16" in romlayout.S.  The code there transitions the CPU
to 32bit mode and jumps to _start in post.c.  After we initilize
everything, the cpu is transitioned back to 16bit mode and an "int
0x19" is executed to start the standard boot process.

The _start in romlayout.S is confusing - I put it there to silence a
linker warning.  I'll clean that up.

-Kevin