[coreboot] Unable to power up db800 with coreboot

Phani Babu Giddi phanig at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 22:59:51 CET 2008

Hi Marc,

I was able to build coreboot for db800 board using the latest codebase 3118
on SLES. Fedora still doesnt work for me. So I have build coreboot image
with FILO as the payload. When I powerup the system the Linux image doesnt
boot. On the IDE disk I have installed SLES with /boot in a different
partition. /boot is ext2 and / is reiserfs. The system does nothing for a
long time and after wards USB LED's on the board come up.

I was expecting some messages on the serial console and the montior but I
dont see any. Any idea whats going on. The FILO config file is as shown
below, i hope I am not passing incorrect parameters here....

Regards,
Phani

1. amd/db800/db800/Config.lb

target db800
mainboard amd/db800

# HACK to get the right TSC support.
option CONFIG_TSC_X86RDTSC_CALIBRATE_WITH_TIMER2=1

option CONFIG_COMPRESSED_PAYLOAD_NRV2B=0
option CONFIG_COMPRESSED_PAYLOAD_LZMA=0

# Leave 36k for VSA.
#option ROM_SIZE=1024*1024-36*1024
option ROM_SIZE=512*1024-36*1024
# option ROM_SIZE=256*1024-36*1024
option FALLBACK_SIZE=ROM_SIZE

option DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL = 11
option MAXIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL = 11
# option DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL = 4
# option MAXIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL = 4

romimage "fallback"
        option USE_FALLBACK_IMAGE=1
        option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE=64*1024
        option COREBOOT_EXTRA_VERSION=".0Fallback"
        payload ../payload.elf
end

buildrom ./coreboot.rom ROM_SIZE "fallback"

2. # !!! NOTE !!!
# Do NOT add spaces or comments at the end of option lines.
# It confuses some versions of make.

# Use grub instead of autoboot?
USE_GRUB = 1

# Grub menu.lst path
MENULST_FILE = "hda1:/grub/menu.lst"
# Via Epia-MII CF boot:
#MENULST_FILE = "hde1:/boot/filo/menu.lst"

# time before default menu.lst is chosen. Set to 0 to ignore
MENULST_TIMEOUT = 10

# Image filename for automatic boot and optional command line parameter
AUTOBOOT_FILE = "hda1:/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 vga=0x317 resume=/dev/hda2
splash=silent showopts initrd /initrd console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200"
#AUTOBOOT_FILE = "mem at 0xfff80000"
#AUTOBOOT_FILE = "hde1 at 0"
#AUTOBOOT_FILE = "uda1:/vmlinuz.elf"

# Time in second before booting AUTOBOOT_FILE
AUTOBOOT_DELAY = 5

# Driver for hard disk, CompactFlash, and CD-ROM on IDE bus
IDE_DISK = 1

# Add a short delay when polling status registers
# (required on some broken SATA controllers)
# NOTE: Slows down access significantly, so disable
# whenever possible.
#IDE_DISK_POLL_DELAY = 1

# Use PCMCIA compact flash on Via Epia MII10000 and MII6000E
# This device is referred to as hde.
#PCMCIA_CF = 1

# Driver for USB Storage
USB_DISK = 1

# VGA text console
VGA_CONSOLE = 1
PC_KEYBOARD = 1

# Serial console
SERIAL_CONSOLE = 1
SERIAL_IOBASE = 0x3f8
# if SERIAL_SPEED is commented out, the speed will not be changed.
SERIAL_SPEED = 115200

# Filesystems
FSYS_EXT2FS = 1
FSYS_FAT = 1
#FSYS_JFS = 1
#FSYS_MINIX = 1
FSYS_REISERFS = 1
#FSYS_XFS = 1
FSYS_ISO9660 = 1
#FSYS_CRAMFS = 1
#FSYS_SQUASHFS = 1

# Support for boot disk image in bootable CD-ROM (El Torito)
ELTORITO = 1

# PCI support
SUPPORT_PCI = 1

# Enable this to scan PCI busses above bus 0
# AMD64 based boards do need this.
PCI_BRUTE_SCAN = 1

# Sound support (needs SUPPORT_PCI)
#SUPPORT_SOUND = 1

# Sound drivers
#VIA_SOUND = 1

# Debugging
DEBUG_ALL = 1
#DEBUG_ELFBOOT = 1
#DEBUG_ELFNOTE = 1
#DEBUG_LINUXBIOS = 1
#DEBUG_MALLOC = 1
#DEBUG_MULTIBOOT = 1
#DEBUG_SEGMENT = 1
#DEBUG_SYS_INFO = 1
#DEBUG_TIMER = 1
#DEBUG_BLOCKDEV = 1
#DEBUG_PCI = 1
#DEBUG_VIA_SOUND = 1
#DEBUG_LINUXLOAD = 1
#DEBUG_IDE = 1
#DEBUG_USB = 1
#DEBUG_ELTORITO = 1

# i386 options

# Loader for standard Linux kernel image, a.k.a. /vmlinuz
LINUX_LOADER = 1

# Boot FILO from Multiboot loader (eg. GRUB)
#MULTIBOOT_IMAGE = 1