[LinuxBIOS] [RFC] Macros vs. functions for better readability

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 20:49:13 CET 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 9:32 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> How do we factor out such code? I prefer macros for simple function
> wrappers and functions for multiline sequences.

I spend a lot of time with Plan 9 code nowadays. These are the Bell
Labs guys who invented it all. I am (re)-learning a lot about style.
The Plan 9 code is so clean and sparse, it' s a real joy to read.

I think macros are OK for bits like convenience in struct deref and
such things. Spin locks and stuff like outb maybe make sense too.

I think the value of putting a one line function into a macro is
over-rated. It can badly bloat the code, in unexpected ways, And, look
at linux nowadays: lots of code living in .h files, making it a real
headache to figure out where things get done.

So I vote for your code cleanup idea, but I'd like to see it weighed
in favor of functions, unless a macro is somehow absolutely essential.

Thanks, it is a great idea, don't let me sound discouraging! The only
question is, should we be really trying to apply this lesson to V3?

ron