[LinuxBIOS] svn question

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:37:49 CET 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 7:52 AM,  <joe at smittys.pointclark.net> wrote:

> Quoting Robinson Tryon <bishop.robinson at gmail.com>:
>
> > On Jan 9, 2008 9:59 PM,  <joe at smittys.pointclark.net> wrote:
> >> Dumb question, but I can't seem to find any real good docs on svn. How
> >> to I commit a patch to my local LinuxBIOSV2 copy??
> >
> > Do you want to commit something to a repository, or do you just want
> > to patch your local checkout?
> >
> > To merge a patch into your local svn checkout you can use the 'patch'
> > tool.  Check out the man page for specifics -- but you'll basically
> > run something like:
> >
> >   patch /path/to/file /patch/to/patchfile.patch
> >
> > Here's a couple of examples: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/HOWTO_Patch
> >
> Thanks for the help. To be specific I want to test the fedora core 8
> patch. So I would just do a:
>
> patch ../LinuxBIOSv2 /patch/to/patchfile.patch
>
> because the patch was supposed to be created at the top of the LB tree?

If someone created a patchfile (my-patch.patch) at the top of the LB
tree (/LinuxBIOSv2) then what you'll want to do is cd into that
top-level directory:

  tux at iceberg:~$ cd LinuxBIOSv2
  tux at iceberg:~/LinuxBIOSv2$

Then run the patch command:

  tux at iceberg:~/LinuxBIOSv2$ patch -p0 < my-patch.patch
  patching file Foo/Bar/bar.c
  patching file Foo/Bar/bar.h

The "-p" switch indicates how many leading slashes should be stripped
from the filenames in the diff before 'patch' tries to match them with
existing files.  If you have a patch made at the top level and you
apply the patch at the top level, then just use -p0.

Cheers,
-- Robinson