[LinuxBIOS] Please add support for MX25L8005 and MX25L3205D

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jan 10 15:16:16 CET 2008

On 10.01.2008 14:53, Harald Gutmann wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2008 14:38:18 schrieb Carl-Daniel Hailfinger:
>
>> OK, I now know the exact problem. The IT8716F flash translation function
>> does not work with chips bigger than 512 KByte unless you use a special
>> software enable routine.
>> Please update to current svn (it has your patch) and apply the patch
>> below. If random flashing with the patch works, can you give me an Ack?
>> If it doesn't work, can you upload the new random_read.com?
>>
> It doesn't work with that patch.
> Here are the files:
> http://rapidshare.com/files/82704058/flashrom_files_patched.tar.gz.html

Thanks! It seems we can't support any flash chip bigger than 512 kByte
on a board using IT8716F SPI translation without a LOT of effort. If you
don't care about speed, it is probably possible to read and write a
flash chip with any size, but you can't use anthing outside the bottom
512 kByte area before RAM shadows ROM.

I have sent a mail to ITE to find out if we can use the IT8716F for
bigger flash chips. If I get an answer, I will tell you.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel