[LinuxBIOS] PCI device memory resource

Myles Watson myles at pel.cs.byu.edu
Thu Jan 10 17:06:34 CET 2008

I think the confusion comes because of the difference between memory and
memory address space.  The PCI controller is asking for 32 MB of the
physical address space, not memory.  When the BIOS allocates this region in
the address space, it is trusting that the PCI controller will respond to
any reads/writes to that address space.

There is no need to have actual RAM backing up every bit of address space,
but the device needs to respond to accesses to its address space.

Myles

  _____