[LinuxBIOS] INIT detected.

Marc Jones marc.jones at amd.com
Fri Jan 11 21:57:46 CET 2008

Steve Isaacs wrote:
> Is this message normal or does it indicate a problem that needs to be
> corrected?
>
> INIT detected from  ---- {APICID = 00 NODEID = 00 COREID = 00} ---
>

> Issuing SOFT_RESET...
>

> Looking at the code this is emitted in model_fxx/init_cpus.c when
> cpu_init_detectedx is non-zero.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Steve,

This could indicate a real problem. It means that the core was
unexpectedly reset at some point. This is checked in cache_as_ram.inc.
Look for 	/* check if cpu_init_detected */.

If the reset is intentional, the reset code should set/clear the bit in
the msr by calling set_bios_reset();

I have seen unintentional resets caused by AP init and/or CAR and memory
init issues. You can get into some funny race conditions with AP and BSP
using the same CAR location but that is just a guess.

I hope that gives you some ideas about what might be going wrong and
where to start looking.

Marc

--
Marc Jones