[coreboot] [LinuxBIOS] Welcome to coreboot.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Jan 14 13:40:56 CET 2008

On 12.01.2008 02:43, ron minnich wrote:
> Welcome to coreboot!
>
> [...]
>
> As a result, starting last year, we decided to look at a new name. We
> had lots of
> candidates, and discussed the name with many companies. In the end, the name
> that seemed to stick was "coreboot". It makes a lot of sense: the code we are
> working on is the "core boot code".

There is one aspect of the new name that was not discussed yet if I
remember correctly: Capitalization.
It seems "coreboot" is all lowercase. While I agree that it looks nice,
I remember the trouble "openSUSE" had when they insisted on their
particular capitalization, especially in contiguous texts with
"openSUSE" at the beginning of some sentences. Starting a sentence with
a lowercase word makes most word processors complain loudly. Independent
of that, some media outlets don't care about capitalization of project
names at all.
I do like "coreboot" as it is because that capitalization gives me the
impression of "works behind the scenes".

> So, starting this year, the 10th (base 8!) anniversary of the first
> LinuxBIOS boot,
> we are transitioning to the name coreboot. As you can see from the above,
> coreboot can support all kinds of software, still including Linux.
>
> [...]
>
> This name change was a lot of work. A great deal of behind-the-scenes
> work has been
> done by Stefan Reinauer, so I hope you will join me in thanking Stefan
> for a job well done.

Indeed, thanks!

> We will make the changes slowly and with a lot of preparation. You
> have already seen
> the IRC channel change, and host names change over to coreboot.org. At
> some point in
> the next three months you will see a change in the svn repository
> name. We're going to
> be very careful to ensure nothing breaks.

For svn repository moving, it would be nice to have a few people test it
in all of its glory before it is done.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel