[coreboot] [LinuxBIOS] Welcome to coreboot.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Jan 14 15:11:26 CET 2008

On 14.01.2008 14:37, Lars Randers wrote:
> On 1/14/08, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12.01.2008 02:43, ron minnich wrote:
>>
>>> Welcome to coreboot!
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>

>>> We will make the changes slowly and with a lot of preparation. You
>>> have already seen
>>> the IRC channel change, and host names change over to coreboot.org. At
>>> some point in
>>> the next three months you will see a change in the svn repository
>>> name. We're going to
>>> be very careful to ensure nothing breaks.
>>>

>> For svn repository moving, it would be nice to have a few people test it
>> in all of its glory before it is done.
>>

> Would it be too bold to suggest moving to a GIT repository?
> I love the search capabilities of that thing...

While git is a nice revision control system and I also work with it for
stuff besides coreboot, I fear it does not play well with our current
process. Our current committer base is rather small and that makes it
easy to use subversion.
A few nice advantages of subversion over git are:
- easy merging with upstream without cluttering history with "merge xy"
changesets
- extremely fast checkout
- low storage requirements
- ability to have subtrees in different repositories.
Some of these points might become git features sometime in the future
(or already are), but right now I prefer subversion for coreboot.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel