[coreboot] [LinuxBIOS] Please add support for MX25L8005 and MX25L3205D

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 22 00:48:30 CET 2008

On 21.01.2008 17:15, Harald Gutmann wrote:
> Hello!
>
> As in the thread "Re: [coreboot] SST25VF016B (2MB) flash on m57sli (IT8716F)"
> there was added support for writing/reading lager SPI chips than 512kB i had
> a look on the current flashrom code, in svn revision 3067.
>
> I recogniced that the MX25L8005 calls the same function than the SST25VF016B
> in the flashchips.c file. The function called there are
> generic_spi_chip_erase_c7, generic_spi_chip_write and generic_spi_chip_read.
> The write function is in spi.c, and checks if the total_size is bigger than
> 512kB, as result of that check the it8716f_over512k_spi_chip_write should be
> called to write the chip. The SST25VF016B can be programmed/verified/erased
> but not the MX25L8005.

Probably either the chip does not support BYTE-PROGRAM or we have a
timing issue.
I checked the datasheet and the MX25L8005 indeed has a PAGE-PROGRAM
mode, but it can be abused for BYTE-PROGRAM.

> Writing random data to the chip results in a failed verify. Erasing the chip
> seems to work.
> Here is the file which i wrote to the chip, and the file which i get as result
> when trying to read the chip. (looks quite strange in hexdump, there are many
> FF lines in the read file.)
> http://rapidshare.com/files/85450682/read_write_diff-r3067.tar.gz.html

This is a timing issue with ~95% probability. Simply look at the
readback result. Will send a patch.

> I also wondered if the mx25l4005.c file is needed any more, because the
> functions in there aren't called anywhere.

Hm. Are you sure this file exists in the official tree? I can't find it.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel