[coreboot] [cbv2]Add serial port information to lbtable

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Jan 23 11:19:47 CET 2008

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 11:45:08AM +0100, Torsten Duwe wrote:
>
>> I cannot think of a good use a payload can make of a serial port
>> other than console
>>

> Some kind of recovery, management, whatever. I can't think of all
> uses either, but I certianly do not want to impose an arbitrary limit
> like "coreboot only tells you about serial ports that are the
> console" - I like the generic serial tag.

Note: There's another patch from Jens Freimann which puts all of the
device tree into the cb table. Unlike Patrick's patch, Jens' does not
reveil any information like "coreboot is actually using this device in
this and that manner". So I think those are two different things.

While I agree we want to export all devices (not only serial ports), I
believe that we should also export a given amount of "management
information" that can be used by payloads to make a consistent code flow
through all stages of our modular design, such as: if you change the
baud rate with "lxbios", it should propagate through to grub2 and not be
linuxbios specific. For the user, "lxbios" is the firmware setup
utility, not the coreboot utility alone.

Not sure whether those two table types should be mixed. Especially in
v2. Opinions?

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613