[coreboot] rename LAR to CBAR and LBTABLE to CBTABLE?

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 03:23:17 CET 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while I agree fully with renaming the project, we need to consider the
> point where we stop the renaming, also because some code referencing our
> code is outside of our control.
> We have LBTABLE structures and can rename them to CBTABLE. But will
> Linux kernel folks merge patches renaming the structs?

I can't think of any good reason not to.

> Different question for LAR. It's short and it actually can be
> pronounced. Do we really want to rename it to CBAR? Try to pronounce
> that.

Eww, no argument with that.

> Renaming it to CAR would be even worse because it would be
> impossible to tell CorebootARchiver and CacheAsRam apart.

And we don't want to assume that we could tell the difference based on
context: "How do I use CAR on <system x>?" I'm trying to come up with
better ideas, but I haven't got much. Perhaps BAR (Boot ARchive), since
it's actually made up of coreboot + some other boot payload + extension
roms, etc, but that seems like it could introduce confusion with Base
AddRess.

> I didn't expect that the renaming business would be that much work with
> so many pitfalls.

I don't think anyone really did. In hindsight, we probably should have
just changed over v3 (since not many people should need old versions)
and left the older versions alone. I wonder if it's possible to do a
mass rename on the subversion server's archives, so subversion simply
thinks it's always been coreboot.