[coreboot] rename LAR to CBAR and LBTABLE to CBTABLE?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Jan 27 15:56:32 CET 2008

On 27.01.2008 13:55, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> On 27.01.2008 03:01, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>>
>>> * Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [080126
>>> 02:28]:

>>> what code in the linux kernel are you particularly referring to? Linux
>>> should be pretty much coreboot agnostic.
>>>

>> Didn't the kernel have coreboot table parsing some time in the past? I'm
>> not sure about current Linux code, though.
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> The current linux kernel does not, I verified that.

Good (or in that case bad) to know.

> The bootloader (payload) is preparing e820 entries to make linux see
> all of memory. Well, some of them do. Open Firmware does not. Which is
> why Torsten Duwe saw weeird problems when booting
> coreboot+openfirmware on a machine with 4G ram. I think Linux only saw
> 28M or some such 8)

So if we want to pass any new information to a Linux kernel, we have to
teach the bootloader about a new LBTABLE element and the bootloader has
to translate that to an e820 section Linux can understand? Painful.

> The discussion reminds me we have to find a way to get the coreboot
> messages into dmesg, at least in v3. Any hints how to do this
> correctly? can it be done for the pre-ram code now that you improved
> the cache as ram stuff? that would be really really cool.

Via e820? I have some code which keeps all messages from the beginning
of CAR up to payload handoff in a local buffer. If anyone wants to write
code which copies the buffer to some place where Linux expects it and
handles the glue logic, be my guest.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel