[coreboot] Intel support

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue Jul 1 10:57:20 CEST 2008

Joseph Smith wrote:
>> Without documentation, it becomes nearly impossible.
>> Somebody look at the Barcelona memory initialization code and tell
>> me they could have figured it out on their own.  I'm thinking not.
>>
>> So we have to be blatantly obvious about what our shortcomings are.
>> You can believe all you want in the power of open source, but the
>> truth of the matter is that 90% of all the people who come on this list
>> to ask for a particular port are not interested in doing the work
>> themselves,
>>

> And that maybe part of the problem with Intel hardware, everyone wants it
> but noone wants to work for it. I am far too familure with this, trust me.

I don't think it's a matter of "noone _wants_ to work for it" but rather
a question of Intel ports not being economically justifiable by those
who are interested in doing so. Getting supported AMD hardware is
cheaper and works out of the box. I am very curious to hear your story
though. It's a major issue and the coreboot project has to solve it some
time. We're not Robin Hood just because we ignore the "big guys"

We (coresystems) are working on support for newer Intel chipsets. But
it's a long and cumbersome path to walk.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613