[coreboot] USB debug cables and emulation

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Jul 3 21:52:15 CEST 2008

On 03.07.2008 21:42, Joseph Smith wrote:
> [...]

As luck has it, the USB chips used in the NET20DC are also present in
other devices.

> So everyone is just telling me I should give up???

Well, I think it would be really cool to have an affordable USB debug
device. Unfortunately, I am not so skilled when it comes to designing
hardware, so I won't be able to help.
Together with shipping, the NET20DC is >$140 anywhere in Europe. That's
pretty much outside my budget.

> I wonder how many times OLPC herd that???
>
> Ok then I will just give up and go buy a Net20DC :-(

If you can get schematics and photos and a dump of the ROM of a NET20DC,
you should be able to find out rather quickly whether this is doable. In
theory, having a Geode/CS5536 board should enable you to abuse one of
the USB host ports as device port and create USB debug functionality
purely in software. No idea whether the hardware is that flexible, though.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/