[coreboot] SeaBIOS booting

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Tue Jul 8 01:46:55 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 11:52:21AM -0600, Myles Watson wrote:
> >> I don't see anything unusual in the log.  Did all the OSes die in the
> >> same way?
> Yes.
>
> >> Did anything come up on the vga screen?
>
> I missed this question the first time.  Nothing comes up on the VGA
> screen.  That was especially interesting to me because when I tried to
> boot the Windows CD in qemu, if I press F12 for the boot menu, then
> select 3. CD-ROM, it says Press Any Key to Boot from CD.....  If you
> wait until all 5 dots are there, you can't press any key any more.  It
> hangs.

Hrmm - I don't see this on my machine.  Did you compile seabios
yourself?  Maybe it's being miscompiled on your machine.  Can you try
the elf at:

http://linuxtogo.org/~kevin/SeaBIOS/bios.bin.elf-0.2.3

> Maybe that's what's happening, maybe it's something else, I'm still looking.
>
> Does the lack of VGA output give any hints?  I have VGA output until
> it jumps to the SeaBIOS, but nothing after that.

It's very odd.  From your log:

  Scan for VGA option rom
  Running option rom at 000c0003

That indicates that seabios found your vga rom and ran it.  I don't
know why you wouldn't see seabios' output on the screen.

It can be pretty challenging to debug these problems.  The only thing
I can think of that will help is to try and increase the debug levels
in src/config.h.

I'm currently tracking down a boot failure with os/2 under qemu.
Maybe the fix will improve booting on other OSes as well.

-Kevin