[coreboot] SeaBIOS VGA ROM

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun Jul 13 18:30:35 CEST 2008

Hi Tom,

I'm cc'ing the mailing list.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:59:59AM -0400, Tom Sylla wrote:
> Along the way, you have mentioned that SeaBIOS should run the VGA ROM
> instead of coreboot. How do I build my ROM to make that happen? My VGA
> is integrated, so I usually prepend the ROM, and coreboot runs it. How
> will SeaBIOS find it?

I think coreboot should load the option roms into ram.

There is no standard way to do this in coreboot-v2.  What other
platforms seem to do is hardcode certain addresses in the C code and
then just memcpy them from flash to ram.  On my via, I hacked the code
so that it still copies the vga option rom, but does not run it.

However, it should be possible to setup a standard in coreboot-v3.
Each rom could go in a LAR file and coreboot could copy them.  For
example, we could define a directory "/optionroms/" and each file
could automatically be uncompressed and copied.

-Kevin