[coreboot] freedos on OLPC - question

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Jul 14 21:36:28 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 03:14:15PM -0400, Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> > I'm not sure if you're looking to run natively or via an emulator.  If
> > you're looking to run natively then I imagine it may require some
> > effort to get it up and running.  If you're looking to run via an
> > emulator, then it should just work.
>
> I would prefer running freedos under an emulator for now, so it may be
> easier to test some applications before deploying them on OLPCs.
>
> >From what I've read, I think I need to type:
>  qemu -L build -hda somefreedos.image

Yes.

http://linuxtogo.org/~kevin/SeaBIOS/bios.bin-0.2.3

> BTW - there will be a problem for running natively freedos ol the OLPC
> - the openfirmware used in the OLPC lacks VESA support, and lacks many
> dos interruption support. There is a new openfirmware v2 that's
> supposed to bring some of these missing features for the upcoming
> windows XP support on the OLPC, but I know very little about it.

It should be possible to get a VGA driver - the coreboot folks are
booting on the OLPC today.  Seabios adds all the "dos interrupts" - so
it shouldn't need anything from openfirmware.  You will want the PIR
and ACPI tables - hopefully the next openfirmware will have that.

> If you are interested about such issues and wish to work on these
> issues, I suggest you read the dev.laptop.org wiki about insyde bios,
> linuxbios and openfirmware. I don't think I know such issues well
> enough to provide you with a decent sum up of the current situation.

Linuxbios is now called coreboot.

-Kevin