[coreboot] Trac reminder: list of new ticket(s)

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jul 16 08:37:44 CEST 2008

> Section 6.2.4 of the PCI specification states:
>
>> These registers are used to uniquely identify the add-in card or
>> subsystem
>> where the PCI device resides.  The provide a mechanism for add-in
>> card vendors to
>> distinguish their add-in cards from one another even though the
>> add-in cards may
>> have the same PCI controller on them (and therefore the same Vendor
>> ID and Device ID).
>
> Or in paraphrase they identify the PCB the IC sits on.

"... add-in card *or subsystem* ..."

I agree the spec could be more clear, and that it doesn't at all
give guidance on how these IDs should be used; but it certainly
does not say that completely unrelated devices should be assigned
the same subsystem ID, just because they are soldered to the same
board.

Segher