[coreboot] first date with coreboot

Ken.Fuchs at bench.com Ken.Fuchs at bench.com
Wed Jul 16 17:57:32 CEST 2008

Amrish Purohit wrote:

> currently i am working as developer on linux plateform in a mnc
> in india.  recently i have been asked to install coreboot in
> our machine and make necessary test.

What processor, northbridge, southbridge does your board have?

What additional/optional chips does it have such as NOR flash,
SPI NOR flash, SuperIO, embedded controller, Ethernet, SATA/SAS,
etc.

Depending on which chips your board uses, coreboot will be either
fully supported, partially supported or not supported at all:

http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards

If your mainboard is not listed, it may still be supported if
the processor and chipset and other devices are supported:

http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Chipsets_and_Devices

Other areas of the _status_ section of the coreboot web site
may be helpful as well.

> i have navigated the coreboot.org site but do not find any
> satisfactory document to start with. i have not enough
> knowledge of traditional bios or linuxbios.
> please help from where to start ?

Did you try http://www.coreboot.org/Category:Tutorials ?

The best way to start/learn may be getting one of the cheaper
boards on this web page and follow the corresponding tutorial.

Other areas of the _Getting Started_ section of the coreboot
web site may also helpful.

> i want to know each and every aspect of the coreboot and if
> possible i want to contribute to coreboot development.so
> anybody can help with enough document to start with.

Check out the _Developers_, _Related Tools_, and _Support_
sections of the coreboot web site.  I suggest starting with:

http://www.coreboot.org/Developer_Manual

http://www.coreboot.org/Development_Guidelines

Also check out flashrom, superiotool, buildrom, and other
tools in _Related Tools_.

Also read/review these web pages:

http://www.coreboot.org/FAQ

http://www.coreboot.org/Coreboot_Options