[coreboot] HT credits and the Opteron

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 00:39:15 CEST 2008

Marc,

Thanks for the quick response.

> I assume that you are talking about the XBAR buffer allocation, 4.6.12?

Sorry. I should have been more clear.  I was talking about 3.3.15: LDTi
Buffer Count Registers.  Does your answer still apply?

> The links are profiled by the designers and then appropriate values are
> assigned. There are some limitations in allocating the buffers so you
> can't just take some form one place an use it somewhere else. For the
> most part, you shouldn't run out of buffers in a typical system, so
> nothing would be gained by adding more to a particular interface.
>
> Generally, we should set what the factory bios sets since those settings
> are validated. If a customer is building their own platforms we will
> work with them to set appropriate values for their silicon.

Now that there is an open-source HT core from the University of Mannheim,
anyone could do this, but maybe most people will leave it alone.

Thanks,
Myles